Knight Day Tomorrow

Hey everyone, just a reminder that every Friday is Knight Day and that starts tomorrow 🙂 Students may wear a Knight t-shirt and casual bottoms. We will also be having popsicles (individually packaged) to celebrate our first week of school! See you tomorrow.

Happy Summer! (And one last piece of business)

Well, that’s a wrap! And what a year it has been, definitely one we will remember! I want to say thank you so much for the perseverance and dedication so many of you have shown during this challenging season. I appreciate the patience and grace you extended to me as I learned how to shift class to online, through all the changes and upheaval that we experienced. It has been such a privilege to teach your children this year. I have loved the joy and laughter, the curiosity and tenacity, and the persistent and positive attitudes throughout such challenging times. I am so proud of each of them for all the hard work they put in, and for all of their achievements this year. It is a delight to watch them grow in leaps and bounds, and in all areas. Great work this year!

Here is a video of our year … all the fun memories and experiences we have shared together. Enjoy 🙂

Thank you so much for all the gifts and kind words that have been shared with me here at the end. I was truly blessed!

One last piece of business is picking up year books and report cards – this will be done on Friday, June 26th, between 9 and 12. We will be having a drive thru (much like the one to pick up supplies earlier in the year). You will need a sign in your vehicle with your family name –  so that we can be ready for you. There is no specific time that you need to come – just between those hours. We look forward to seeing you all one last time!

I pray you all have a wonderful summer, soaking in the sun and enjoying some rest and family time 🙂

Last Week!

Wow! We have made it to the last week of school this year – hard to believe. These past couple months have felt so long in some ways, and yet have flown by at the same time.

For this last week of school, I am only going to assign a Grade 2 Memory Book. In this memory book, there are different pages for them to reflect and write about different things. Favorite memory, best field trip, etc. I am going to attach these pages here, and you can print them out to fill them out. If you don’t have a printer, or you would rather pick up a hard copy from me, just email me and we can arrange a time to do that as well. If you are coming to class, you will receive a hard copy then. We will work on it in class some, and the rest will be completed at home. It is definitely a year to remember!

.

.    

.

Self-Reflection – Need Everyone To Do

Good afternoon Everyone!

I am attaching a Self-Reflection for the end of the year. I need ALL students to fill this out, take a picture and return it to me. Please make sure you allow your child to share their own thoughts as it is a reflection for themselves, not what you as the parents think, or what I as the teacher would say. Read them the question/explain the directions, and then let them do it.

If you do not have the ability to print it, please email me and we can set up a time for it to be picked up on Monday so that it can be completed. Thanks.

This is a MANDATORY piece of information for each child’s file. So please, make it a priority to get this done. I would like all Self Reflections done by Monday, June 15th. Thanks so much!

Click this link to open it up.

CovidPrimarySelfReflect

Rainy Days

Those of you returning – with rain predicted for the next couple of days, please make sure you are sending your kids dressed appropriately. We will be sending them outside if it isn’t raining very hard 🙂

Information for June 1st-5th

Hey Everyone,

So just a few notes and updates for moving ahead this week. I know you received the blog post from our admin, but this is just a few other details to keep in mind. Attached at the bottom is also the Week at a Glance for this week 🙂 Let me know if you have any questions.

Information for Everyone:

• Library books need to be returned this week – by June 5th  – whether you are returning to the class or not please drop them off – either to the classroom or there is a black cart in the lobby of the school
  • Previous video conference schedule is no longer

For Those Not Returning to Class:

• Work will continue to be posted online each week – please continue to work and submit information online as you have been doing on FreshGrade
  • One-on-one video conferences are not going to continue but I will be switching up how that looks – email will be sent out tomorrow with details

For Those Returning to Class:

• Drop-off and Pick up
    • come as close to the bell as possible – there will be no playing outside before or after school
    • reminder that school ends at 2:30 – we will be lined up in front of the portables at the end of the day for pick-up and students will be dismissed when we see you
    • if you arrive late, you do not need to go to the office for a late slip – I will be dealing with that in the classroom – always come straight to the classroom
  • Work will be posted online each week – the days you are in class you do not have to do any other work at home; on your off days, complete the assigned tasks for those days and submit pictures on FreshGrade
  • Bring your pencil box with you each day – no journals, duotangs or other materials are required
  • Knight wear is acceptable – please wear appropriate footwear to be able to run around (we are not going to be worrying about gym shoes)
  • Bring a water bottle – there will be no access to water fountains – and snacks/lunches that your child is able to open independently

Class Hangout Cancelled

Good morning everyone, with June just around the corner, I have a lot to do today and I am going to have to cancel our Class Hangout today – I’m sorry for any disappointment this may cause, it just is too much for today. I hope you understand! Thanks 🙂

Start-Up Information

Settle in … this is a long one – this is from the admin about starting back up and moving forward. Please make sure you read all the way through – there are lots of things to be aware of! The classroom, and the way things are structured will not look normal, so please read for all the details.

If you are not returning, online learning will continue as normal, but I will be sending out an email about times for meetings in the next couple of days. Thanks so much for your patience!

Dear parents,

Starting on June 1, classes will be reopening for students to return. In preparation for students returning, we wanted to share some information based on what we know right now. In these strange and interesting times, these plans may change as the first day back arrives and we see how things flow. However, I wanted to connect with you and provide you with some items to consider.

First of all, as the BC Government has stated, returning to school is voluntary. After reviewing the plans laid out by our school admin, you are able to decide what is best for your child and decide whether to send your child back to school.

Here is a list of changes and procedures we have developed to help follow the social distancing and safety guidelines and recommendations put forward by the BC government:

• Student Health: Prior to sending your child to school each morning, we would ask that you check for signs of illness, including taking your child’s temperature. If you find signs of a fever or other signs of illness, we would ask that you keep your child at home. Whether you feel that it might be allergies or something else not Covid related, we would rather you err on the safe side. If a child shows signs of illness while at school, students will be isolated and parents informed that their child needs to be picked up immediately.

• Students will be returning in smaller groups. As recommended by the BC Government, class sizes are being split in half to accommodate social distancing guidelines. At this point, the school admin have designated Mondays and Wednesdays as the days for students with last names starting from A-L. Tuesdays and Thursdays will be for students whose last names begin with the letters M-Z. Unfortunately, we can not consider placing students based on friendship groupings as that becomes too difficult logistically. 

• Blogs and Google Classroom will still be used to provide learning activities for all students. Students returning to school will do a combination of activities related to what has been posted online and extension/supplementary activities along with Health/Bible, Library and Gym. Grade 6 students will not have library periods during their time at school. Students staying at home will still be able to access the activities provided online. However, items like morning meetings, instructional videos, read alouds, etc. will not be provided as teachers work to maintain in-class learning. 

• Our school week will also look a little different. We will be starting school at the normal time. However, we will be ending school at 2:30. This allows teachers the opportunity to contact students who are at home. In school classes will also not be operating on Fridays, to allow teachers time to connect with students at home. 

• School drop-off and pick-up procedures: In order to minimize the number of students congregating before and after school, we would ask that you attempt to drop your child off as close to the starting bell as possible so that students can go to class right away. Classes will be open at 8:45. At the end of the day, students will be taken outside by their teacher and lined-up. Parents can collect their child from the line-up or children will be released as their parents are spotted arriving in their vehicles. As we are trying to minimize numbers of students congregating and practice social distancing, students can not be released straight from classrooms to the playgrounds or field areas. Please collect your child as close to 2:30 as possible. 

• Uniforms and Gym: Students are allowed to wear their Knight clothes to school instead of their school uniforms. Students will not be changing for gym classes and will not need their PE uniforms.

• Recesses and lunch will be staggered to keep the number of students in our outdoor spaces to a minimum. Students will be encouraged to avoid physical contact with other students while inside and outside. 

• Please bring water bottles: As our water fountains will be closed to students, students should bring a refillable water bottle.

• Supplies: For those students returning, please send all materials that were sent home so that students have items to use while at school. Glue, scissors, pencil crayons, chromebooks, etc will all be useful for students upon returning. Most items will be able to be kept in school in bags. Chromebooks will go back and forth with students.  Please make sure to send the following specific items:

• pencil boxes containing ruler, pencils, eraser, pencil crayons, scissors, glue

• Social Distancing Considerations: While we will attempt to follow the guidelines set out by the BC Government as best as possible, students may still be in close contact with other students. However, especially during outside periods, the focus will be on limiting physical human contact between students. Students and staff will have the option of wearing masks while at school. Desks will be reduced and spaced to provide distance between students, while in class and hand washing will be done several times a day. While the Government has stated that outdoor playgrounds are safe to use, staggered recesses, closing the Ga-Ga Ball pit and specifying that there should be no physical contact will all be put into place to help with social distancing. 

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

We miss seeing all our students. Their smiles, laughter, sparkling eyes and individual personalities are all things we have missed tremendously over these last weeks. We recognize that this reopening is not school as normal. Highroad Academy is working hard to provide a safe environment for our students while also trying to provide an opportunity for students to connect with their teachers and fellow classmates before the end of the year. However, we certainly understand if the guidelines feel too onerous or scary for your child. With the information that has been provided, please feel free to make your decision based on your own family and circumstances. If you have any further questions, please email our Elementary Department Head, Ian Hancock, to get more information.

To all the amazing families we have at Highroad who have journeyed with us in these trying times, we want to say thank you. Thank you for your grace. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your support and prayers. Whichever decision you make, please know that we are praying for you, missing you and looking forward to the day when we will be together again as a Highroad community. 

Survey

Just a reminder that if you haven’t filled out and returned the survey letting us know if you plan to return in June please do so ASAP – we are trying to get everything in order and part of that requires numbers! Thanks so much – and if you don’t have the email, please make sure you contact the office and they can get it to you!