Friday Update

I want to start by saying a huge thank you to everyone for meeting with me this week. It was great to actually have a conversation either face to face or online with all of you, especially because for the most part we have waved at each other from a distance. So thank you for taking the time, and for checking in with me. This week we started our first novel study, Frog and Toad are Friends, for the majority of the class. We have done a couple of experiments for Science, which always get the kids so excited, and we painted leaves for art this afternoon. I hope you all have a great weekend.

December Dates/Dates to Remember:

Tuesday, November 24th – Chapel

Wednesday, November 25th – Western Day

Friday, November 27th – Knight Day

Monday, November 30th

• Christmas Concert Recording day
  • 12 Days of Christmas Countdown (in class) begins

Tuesday, December 1st

• Pay to Wear Casual (see details below)
  • Salvation Army Food Drive begins

Friday, December 4th – Knight Day

Tuesday, December 8th – Chapel

Friday, December 11th – Pro-d Day

Wednesday, December 16th – Silly Sweater Day

Thursday, December 17th – Last day before Christmas!

Spelling:

1. what
  2. spring
  3. summer
  4. fall
  5. winter
  6. or
  7. yet
  8. moon
  9. than
  10. take
  11. season
  12. storm
  13. corn
  14. tree
  15. blow
  16. alike
  17. put
  18. river
  19. each
  20. dinner

Bible Memory:

Psalm 8:1-2

Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens. Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.

Reminders and Other Information:

• Christmas Concert – students are well on their way into practicing for the Christmas concert this year. We will once again be recording for this. Grade 2’s have been asked to wear blue jeans and a red or green (plain) t-shirt for the concert. Recording will take place on November 30th, and students may come dressed for the concert on that day.
  • Checkout Highroad social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram) for some fun family festivities to participate in this season
  • Pay to wear casual day/Salvation Army Food Drive – We are going to kick off our annual food drive on December 1st, where you can pay ($5 minimum) to wear casual clothes. On December 1st we will also start collecting cash donations for the food drive. We have a school goal of $5000. There will be a jar in the classroom where students can put their donations when they come in in the morning. Thanks for participating with us in this great cause, even though it may look a little different this year!
  • Home Reading – make sure you are reading with your child every night – return – their book baggie when you have completed 5 days of reading
  • Remember to complete your child’s health check every day
  • Scholastic Code: RC155750 – this is the code you will need if you are ordering online from scholastic. Thanks!
  • Homework – when your child misses school, I will be sending them home the next day with a homework folder that has some of the work that they need to catching up on from the days they have missed – I try to do some things with them in class, but some of it will need to be done at home – thanks for supporting them in this way

Christmas Festivities

I LOVE all things Christmas! And over the last few weeks before Christmas holidays we will be doing lots of Christmas fun and activities.

I have always loved to a decorating party, and having the students create all the decorations that we put up. Due to not being able to have parent helpers, I am switching up the way we are going to decorate the classroom this year. Next week, November 23rd-27th, we are going to take some time every day to create a decoration that we can put up around the room. It will be a ‘week long’ decorating party instead of an afternoon.

Starting the following week (November 30th) I am going to do a 12 Days of Christmas countdown … every day we will have a theme and our activities for the day will, mostly, revolve around it. I ask that you do not tell your children the themes, I would like them to be a surprise. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, especially around some of the more ‘make believe’ themes.

Theme’s included (but not in order):

• Grinch day
  • Christmas Carols day
  • Reindeer day
  • Gingerbread day
  • Candy Cane day
  • Santa Claus day
  • Holiday Cookies day
  • Polar Express day
  • Christmas Tree day
  • Stockings day
  • Kindness day
  • Snow day

There is nothing that needs to be done for these days, it will just be a fun way to countdown the days until our Christmas holidays!

Along with the themes, we will be studying the Birth of Christ over the weeks leading up to Christmas. We will be reading stories and discussing the Christmas Story from the perspective of Mary and Joseph, the shepherds, and the wiseman.

One thought on “Friday Update