And just like that we are entering our last week before Christmas holidays … It has been a fun and exciting week as we have continued our countdown. On Monday we had Cookie Day, which included making salt dough ornaments (we will paint them this next week). On Tuesday we had Santa Claus Day, where we learned that in Australia, they believe Santa arrives on a surfboard. We watched a video clip of this, and the student’s thought it was just hilarious. Learning about Christmas in Australia is part of our ‘Holidays Around the World’ unit for Social Studies. This week we also visited England, the Netherlands and Brazil. Wednesday was Kindness Day. Thursday was Polar Express Day, where the students completed an escape room. They had to answer questions, solving the clues so that they could earn their ticket on to the Polar Express Train. And Friday was Stocking Day. Today the student made their own stockings and we hung them all from the whiteboard. We finished the week off with a movie afternoon with Mrs. VanLeeuwen’s class. It was a great week, lots of fun celebrating with Christmas activities!
Christmas Crackers – a tradition in England – wearing our paper crowns … after laughing at all the jokes inside!
Dates to Remember:
Wednesday, December 14th – Christmas Sweater/Colour Day
Thursday, December 15th – Christmas Sweater/Colours again
Friday, December 16th – Primary Christmas Concert @ 10:30 am and early dismissal – 11:30 am (come dressed for the concert!)
December 17th – January 3rd – Christmas Holidays
No spelling list this week.
(8) And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. (9)An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. (10) But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. (11) Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. (12) This will be a sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” (13) Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God, and saying, (14) “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favour rests.”
Reminders and Other Information:
- Information about our Christmas concert went out in the last post, please refer to it and if you have any questions send Mrs. Shinness and email.
- Christmas Accessories: Students may wear festive hats, scarves, gloves, and/or socks/leggings with their uniform. All items must be Christmas themed. Baseball caps and bucket hats do not count unless they are particularly Christmassy in some way.
- Salvation Army Food Drive – The food drive will start December 1st, note that cash donations are preferred as they can buy things at a discount price thus making the donation go farther.
- Home Reading – make sure you are reading and returning your book as regularly as possible!
- Scholastic: periodically you will receive a scholastic book order. If you wish to order you can do so online with our class code: RC155750
- Contact Information for me: firstname.lastname@example.org