Primary Garage Sale

As a primary department we have been looking for ways for our children to give back and to serve their community, and this year we have decided that we will hold a Garage Sale! The Garage Sale will be held at the beginning of December, so between now and then we are looking for our primary families to donate any toys or games that they no longer want. So, as you think about cleaning up and clearing out your playroom before Christmas, consider what you can donate. Donations may be given to classroom teachers. Please only send items that work, and that are in good condition. The money we raise will be donated to the Ann Davis House.

Weekly Update

Well, we survived it … our first full week in a month, with a couple of non-uniform, out of the ordinary days! It was busy, and a bit chaotic at times, but a good week. We also had our first lockdown drill of the year. The Grade 2’s did a fantastic job of listening and following the instructions during the drill. We had hot lunch, which ran much smoother this time around, so we were happy about that. The Book Fair was open before and after schools this week, and it always exciting for them to pick out new books to read!

Dates to Remember:

Monday, November 5th – Class Photos – full dress uniform

Tuesday, November 6th – Healthy Relationships Assembly

Friday, November 9th – Remembrance Day Assembly – 2pm – full dress uniform

Spelling and Phonograms:

List will be introduced on Monday, November 5th, and tested on Friday, November 9th.

1. side
  2. outside
  3. inside
  4. oil
  5. hard
  6. from
  7. noon
  8. most
  9. hang
  10. cast
  11. line
  12. post
  13. arm
  14. skin
  15. ship
  16. here
  17. sun
  18. age
  19. cover
  20. mine

ay, ei, oe, kn, ph, eigh, th, ar, sh, ng

Bible Memory:

Our Bible Memory for the month of November is all of Psalm 23.

Psalm 23:1-2

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters

Reminders and Other Information:

• remember your Home Reading
  • Our HS students who are going to Thailand in the Spring for a Missions Trip are selling coupons for Panago Pizza. The coupon is for $13 for any medium pizza. Coupons can be purchased at the office.
  • Please remember that we have a couple of extra full dress uniform days next week – for class pictures and for Remembrance Day
  • Winter Uniform has begun – no more shorts!
  • Spell to Write and Read Parent Seminar – we will be hosting a seminar on Nov. 21st to let you know all about the program that we use every day. If you would like more information on how it works, please come and join us from 3:15-4:15pm

Weekly Update

A huge thanks to everyone for coming in to see me for Parent Teacher interviews. It was so good to meet with you all and discuss how your child is doing. Connecting face to face is always so great, especially when I don’t get to connect with you regularly. It is so important for us to all be on the same page, and to work together to best support your child. We all enjoyed a delicious soup picnic, prepared by the high school students. We also had a lot of fun with pumpkins on today … pumpkin seeds, pumpkin measurements and graphing!

November Dates/Dates to Remember:

Oct. 30, 31, and Nov. 1st – Scholastic Book Fair

Tuesday, Oct. 30th – Lockdown Drill

Wednesday, Oct. 31st – Fall Colour Day, hot lunch

Thursday, Nov. 1st – Winter uniform begins

Friday, Nov. 2nd – Knight Day

Monday, Nov. 5th – Class Photo’s – Full Dress Uniform

Tuesday, Nov. 6th – Healthy Relationships Assembly

Friday, Nov. 9th – Remembrance Day Ceremony – 2pm

Monday, Nov. 12th – No School

Friday, Nov. 16th – Chilliwack Museum Classroom Visit

Tuesday, Nov. 20th – PJ day

Wednesday, Nov. 28th – Knight Day

Friday, Nov. 30th – Pro-d Day

Spelling and Phonograms:

1. why
  2. every
  3. proud
  4. happy
  5. son
  6. with
  7. our
  8. same
  9. fine
  10. name
  11. read
  12. word
  13. daddy
  14. girl
  15. never
  16. forget
  17. think
  18. life
  19. under
  20. Lord

er, ew, gn, wh, wr, si, au, ea, ou, ch

Bible Memory:

No new verse added this week, just practicing for one more week before being tested.

Philippians 4:4-9

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Reminders and Other Information:

• Home Reading – bring it in on your assigned day
  • Winter Uniforms begins on Nov. 1st – this means no more shorts
  • Class Photo’s – make sure you wear FULL DRESS UNIFORM  for our picture on Nov. 5th
  • Panago coupons – fundraiser for the missions trip – purchase at the office for $13
  • Remembrance Day Event – Nov. 9th – Students need to wear FULL DRESS UNIFORM for our assembly

Weekly Update

It has been a week full of trying different experiments, talking about what our rights are – as well as the responsibilities that come with those, and continuing to persevere to learn our difficult math concept of rounding. We are almost all at a place of good understanding. We had an earthquake drill today. We talked about the expectations when we have a drill, and the students then carried it out so well! I hope you all enjoy your long weekend, and I look forward to connecting with each of you on Wednesday for Parent Teacher Interviews.

Dates to Remember:

Wednesday, October 24th – No class in session, Parent Teacher Interviews

Friday, October 26th 

• Soup Picnic
  • October Scholastic orders due

Spelling and Phonograms:

1. bow
  2. letter
  3. soon
  4. very
  5. rich
  6. best
  7. zip
  8. brave
  9. face
  10. far
  11. told
  12. sold
  13. nine
  14. new
  15. spent
  16. block
  17. down
  18. dear
  19. formed
  20. end

ed, ck, ie, ai, igh, ough, ow, ir, ti, ear

Bible Memory:

Philippians 4:4-9

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. 

Reminders and Other Information:

• remember your Home Reading books
  • Soup Picnic – on Friday, the high school foods class will be preparing a soup picnic lunch for us with vegetables from our garden as well as what we have provided. Soup and a bun will be provided.
  • Full dress uniforms has begun on Wednesdays – please make sure you are mindful of this
  • hot lunch forms went home, items available are different this time – we are hoping to make this whole process a little more smooth – please return this to the office if you would like to order something

Weekly Update

It has been a good week! We have started a very difficult Rounding unit in Math, and the students have all worked hard to persevere to learn these new concepts. We have really had to work on remembering place value (ones and tens), as well as how to put our skip counting skills to use. We also finished up some of the Thanksgiving theme’d activities we had been working on … a step by step drawing of a turkey, as well as our class book: “If I was a Turkey on Thanksgiving …”

Dates to Remember:

Monday, October 15th – Picture Re-takes

Thursday, October 18th – Great Shakedown Earthquake Drill

Friday, October 19th – Pro-D Day

Spelling and Phonograms:

List will be introduced on Monday, October 15th and tested on Thursday, October 18th.

1. sing
  2. sang
  3. sung
  4. song
  5. doll
  6. feet
  7. zoo
  8. miss
  9. add
  10. lace
  11. mister
  12. finds
  13. nice
  14. plant
  15. got
  16. away
  17. came
  18. west
  19. went
  20. lake

ew, ei, oe, kn, ee, sh, oo, ng, wor, tch

We have now been introduced to all of the phonograms – so each week the 10 that we focus on will be a different mix of the 70 phonograms.

Bible Memory:

Philippians 4:4-6

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.

Reminders and Other Information:

• Home Reading – bring it in on your assigned day please
  • Full Dress Uniform – we have started our Full Dress Uniform Wednesdays
    • girls: tunic, blouse, sweater, navy blue knee high socks, black/white shoes
    • boys: navy pants, dress shirt, sweater, black/white shoes
  • I went through the criminal record checks and found that there were quite a few parents who do not yet have criminal record checks on file at the office. In order to keep our children safe, all adults who attend field trips must have a current criminal record check. Moms, Dads, Grandpas and Grandmas all need to have a criminal records check. If you are unsure if you have a current criminal records check, feel free to send me an email and I can let you know.
  • If you have not signed up for Parent-Teacher interviews yet please do so ASAP – sign up is on my door
  • Thanks for getting all your comfort kits in!

Comfort Kits

If you have not yet brought in your child’s comfort kit, please do so either today or tomorrow. They will be moved to the storage location tomorrow after school, and I have no access to them at that point.

Weekly Update

It has been a great week! We have been busy talking about the difference between physical and chemical changes, how to ask good questions, greater than and less than number sentences, and attempting to work on our skipping skills! Grade 2’s have been working hard! We also had a wonderful field trip to the Pumpkin Patch. Thanks to all the parent’s who joined us, and took groups of students through the maze! We had a great time!

I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend with friends and family, eating turkey and remembering all that God has given us to be thankful for.

Dates to Remember:

Monday, October 8th – Thanksgiving Holiday – No School

Friday, October 12th – Comfort Kits due

Spelling and Phonograms:

1. what
  2. spring
  3. summer
  4. winter
  5. fall
  6. or
  7. yet
  8. moon
  9. than
  10. take
  11. season
  12. storm
  13. corn
  14. tree
  15. blow
  16. alike
  17. put
  18. river
  19. each
  20. dinner

eigh, ear, oi, ti, ey, au, dge, ci, oa, aw

Bible Memory:

Philippians 4:4-6

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Reminders and Other Information:

• Remember to bring in your Home Reading on your day
  • Comfort Kits – the emergency kits must be brought in by October 12th – if you have not yet brought that in, please do so ASAP – they will be taken from the classroom to be stored on Friday.
  • Wednesday, October 24th we will be having Parent-Teacher interviews – Please come and join us from 10am-6pm for Parent/Teacher interviews. This year we are trying something new and would like to sit down with each family to show case what the children have accomplished so far this year and the things that they are working on. The interview will take the place of our Interim Report and we would love to have the face -to-face contact with each family. Sign up sheets will be posted on the classroom door and you can sign up for time that will work best for you. Please make sure you come and sign up for a time that works for you. I look forward to seeing you on October 24th.
  • It is our goal that the students will get outside to run around at recess and lunch. We will not send them out in the pouring rain, but we will go out if it is just drizzling. Please send rain coats and rain boots.

I have decided that I am going to learn how to use FreshGrade this year. It is an online program that will allow me to communicate individually with parents, posting pictures and updates for each individual student. I am going to spend some time familiarizing myself with the program, so bear with me as I learn 🙂 I am not making any promises at the beginning as to how often I will post for each individual student, but will work my best to use this often and effectively.

Pictures from our Week:

Corn Maze

Parent-Teacher Interviews

Please come and join us on October 24th from 10am-6pm for Parent/Teacher interviews. This year we are trying something new and would like to sit down with each family to show case what the children have accomplished so far this year and the things that they are working on. The interview will take the place of our Interim Report and we would love to have the face -to-face contact with each family. Sign up sheets will be posted on the classroom door and you can sign up for time that will work best for you. We look forward to seeing you on October 24th.

Bible Memory

I forgot to include our Bible Memory in my post on Friday. We will be learning                 Philippians 4:4-9 for the month of October.

Philippians 4:4

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Friday Update

Wow! October already … time is just flying by! It’s been a busy week! We had our first Knight Day, which was also the first Hot Lunch day that we had … the students had to demonstrate great patience, as their were a few hiccups with the first hot lunch day. We had our Terry Fox Run, and lots of other great things!

October Dates:

Tuesday, October 2nd – Food and Nutrition Assembly with Miss Stark

Wednesday, October 3rd – Pumpkin Patch Field Trip

Friday, October 5th – Pro-d Day – No school

Monday, October 6th – Thanksgiving – No school

Monday, October 15th – Picture Re-takes

Friday, October 19th – Pro-d Day – No School

Wednesday, October 24th – Parent-Teacher Interviews – no classes in session

Friday, October 26th

• October Scholastic orders due
  • Soup Picnic Lunch

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – October 30th, 31st, and Nov. 1st – Scholastic Book Fair

Wednesday, October 31st – Fall Colour Dress Up Day

Spelling and Phonograms:

List will be introduced on Monday, October 1st, and tested on Friday, October 4th

1. white
  2. paper
  3. cut
  4. its
  5. it’s
  6. sick
  7. gave
  8. give
  9. free
  10. back
  11. thing
  12. roll
  13. stone
  14. foot
  15. dance
  16. lift
  17. page
  18. after
  19. show
  20. thank

tch, ph, ur, wh, si, wr, gn, ir, ow, ough

Reminders and Other Information:

• remember to bring in your Home Reading
  • Bring in your Comfort Kits ASAP if you haven’t already. They are due by October 12th at the latest.
  • On October 26th, we will be having a soup picnic. We will be using veggies from our HRA garden and high school students will be preparing the soup. Our classroom has been asked to supply 12 cans of diced tomatoes to be brought to the school on Monday, October 22nd. Is there anyone who could volunteer to bring a can? Please let me know!
  • Criminal Record Checks – with our field trip coming up next week, if you are hoping to be there, please make sure you check at the office if you have a criminal record check, if you don’t, they will give you the paperwork that you need. This is very important, please look into it ASAP
  • Hockey Tickets Draw – We have a package of Chilliwack Chief hockey tickets available for our class (one adult and one child) – The game is on October 5th … if you are available and interested in being entered to win the draw for our class, please email me or write a little note in your child’s planner. I will do the draw on Wednesday.
  • On Wednesday, October 24th we will be having parent teacher interviews in the daytime – information on how to sign up will be available shortly. I will let you know.
  • Pumpkin Patch field trip is on Wednesday, this will happen rain or shine! Come dressed for the weather. 🙂

Pictures from our Week:

Reading to the class

Buddy Reading

Math Activities

Terry Fox Run

Art Afternoon